We’re a social enterprise that’s out to prove we can meet our energy needs in a way that’s good for people and the planet
The days of fossil fuels are numbered. The shift to renewable generation is gaining pace and gives us the opportunity to reshape the way we manage our energy.
We are calling for the creation of a new system that:
- has renewable generation and energy efficiency at its heart, reducing carbon emissions
- makes the money we spend on energy work harder for the benefit of our communities and strengthening the local economy
- supports the creation of more locally-owned community energy projects, putting local power in the hands of local people
- makes our homes, businesses, and community buildings more healthy and comfortable
- is smart and flexible so as to be able to make the most of future technological solutions.
Each year, Oxfordshire spends £1.5 billion on energy. By encouraging energy efficiency, increasing local energy generation, supporting the shift to electric transport and championing community ownership, Low Carbon Hub is ensuring that more of this money stays local. In the process, we are creating a better energy template for not just Oxfordshire but the whole of the UK.
In 2016 Low Carbon Hub was proud to be awarded the Ashden Award for Sustainable Communities – the world’s leading green energy award.
The judges were impressed with the scale and breadth of our work with communities, businesses and schools across Oxfordshire to move community energy forward.
Low Carbon Hub has an extremely compelling vision for the rivers and rooftops of Oxfordshire to be the power stations of the future, delivering economic, social and environmental benefits for residents.Ashden Award Judges